Organisation: Animal Aware
Location: The Shelter is located 800 metres south of the Pan-American Highway at Kilometre 40, close to the village of Sumpango, Guatemala
Website: Volunteer with Animal Aware
Founded in Antigua in 1998 and relocated to Sumpango in 2000 Animal AWARE is a non-profit organization working, through education and neutering campaigns, to reduce suffering and improve the lives of domestic animals in Guatemala.
Animal AWARE could not continue without the vital help provided by volunteers. We are always very happy to receive help from volunteering veterinarians, too.
With over 300 dogs and almost 100 cats we always need help with anything from cleaning, grooming, walking the dogs, spending quality time with the animals, maintaining Shelter facilities and helping out with our education programmes. From time to time we also require help with our spay/neuter and rabies vaccination clinics, as well as garage sales and other fund-raising events.
Why not gain some valuable experience and at the same time do something extremely worthwhile by helping out at Animal AWARE?
Possible duties include:
- Dogs: feeding, bathing, brushing, obedience training, medicating, cleaning cages, walking, and socializing.
- Cats: feeding, brushing, medicating, cleaning the cages, and socializing.
- Keeping the Clinic clean and organised.
- Education programmes in local schools – must be fluent in Spanish.
- Helping with spay/neuter and rabies vaccination clinics in local villages.
- Thinking up and organizing fund-raising events.
- Sunday: Hound Heights is open to the public from 10 am to 3 pm. Volunteers can help show people around, assist parking, discourage littering, show animals to potential adopters, etc.
We charge US $5.00 per day per person to stay in the AWARE volunteer facilities. This helps us cover the costs of electricity, water, and gas. Food is not included. The quarters include a shower, bed, drinking water, cooking facilities and a refrigerator. To apply to volunteer, please click our website above.